Wednesday, July 7, 2010

NY-Lake Champlain

Next destination....Adirondacks and Lake Champlain. The boys did an awesome job in the car for 7 hours. But while I was enjoying the scenery, they were either reading or playing video games. Hey...look! cool mountians! Jamison looked up and said "hugh, that is interesting. I thought mountians were made of rocks, these are made of trees" . Our campsite was pretty, right along a river. But that meant there were a lot of mosquitos! Thank goodness for 30% deet! We were visited by some critters at night, but this year I was smarter than them! No food for them! This campground only had one shower house and we could not find it. I turned down the road to where I thought it was and was totally confused. Put the car in reverse and accidently hit this sign. After locating a ranger to 1-ask where the showers are and 2-let them know that I knocked down a sign, the ranger pointed out that there was a sign showing were the showers are. Ya, about that sign! The irony! The rest of our stay the boys were nice enough to point out that that was the sign I hit.

Off to Ausable Chasm. A nature hike, river rafting and genstone mining. This is Elephant Rock. See, it looks like an elephant.
The Chasm was pretty cool, pretty unique.
I had some India flashbacks, wet slippery rocks. I was even wearing the same clothes i had on when I fell and broke my finger. Careful!
We rafted on the river and took some rapids. We all had a blast. Jamison was asking for more rapids! Maybe next year we should so some bigger ones!
This rock face was in an old movie, I dont remember which one. I guess a man jumped his horse off the edge of this rock face and landed in the pool below. Both man and horse survived. I bet today's insurnace policies would never allow that anymore, now it would be computer generated.
Gemstone mining....the boys could not wait! Emeralds, rubies, pyrite and arrowheads oh my! Back at camp we took a dip in the water. With the help of some waterproof bandages Jamison was able to get down and dirty....and then run into the water Baywatch style and swim!
They are getting pretty good at swimming, they were dunking, spashing and diving in the water!Hopefully one or both will be my swimmers!

No comments: