Monday, July 20, 2009

Vacation stop 2- Porcupine Mtns

We headed north from Gma Jill's house to Porcupine Mtns. First thing to do is set up camp. Peter helped by using the extra stakes from our tents to make his own for Sparkly the kitty. Then off to the woods for our first hike up to the Lake of the Clouds. I cant wait until the boys can handle longer day hikes, there are so many nice ones along this area. We also took every opportunity to learn about the flora, fauna and geology. One of the many posed shots of the boys infront of a natural beauty. Now for the first experience in the "ocean". The boys kept calling Lake Superior the ocean....i can see why they would call it that. Sadly, I think the ocean is warmer. Peter quickly learned what waves do. And so did Jamison. We spent a lot of time throwing rocks into the lake (you will see a lot of similar pics). We also collected a lot of rocks. Fortunately you are not allowed to collect them in the state and national parks....so I could blame the ranger's "rules" otherwise we would have about an extra 200lbs in lake rock in the car. Does anyone hear the theme song to Chariots of Fire? The campground was right along the lakeshore, we spend more time climbing the cool rocks. Careful Peter! (I found myself saying that alot this week!) More hiking to Summit Peak. I learned after the first day that if you keep the boys fully fed, with lots of snacks, they can hike for a good long time and we could skip naps. Thanks again Keiko for the snacks! Then we headed over to Presque Isle....cool waterfalls, and rocks to climb on! I think this picture is one that will be on the wall. Love the ridges! BUT DANGER! fast moving currents and eddys Boys were held onto tight around here. One slip and see ya later! These are Manido Falls. I was scratching my head thinking that i have seen these before......and I have! I think I was in the exact spot! Maybe in my next life I can be a photographer. The boys LOVEd the chippies...this one would have taken the peanuts right out of your hand! More nice scenery shots with boys and parents. and then back to the Beach! This time we had suits on...The boys were able to play for about an hour before they started to shake uncontrollably. Lake Superior is mighty cold! I was surprised they lasted that long! NOw off to Picture Rock National Seashore.

No comments: